The planned timeline for the recruitment of 200,000 graduates has, once again, been moved by the Federal Government.
It would now begin on 1 December.
The government has now shifted the date for the employment scheme for the second time which it earlier promised would commence in October.
Why the delay?
Two weeks’ ago, Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo was quoted as attributing the delay to the need to get the required equipment.
He further assured Nigerians that the graduates would be engaged “in the next two weeks.”
However, a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity Laolu Akande on Sunday gave an indication that the graduates would not start work until December.
Akande said while the 200,000 graduates were selected about two weeks’ ago, their names had been sent to state governments and the Federal Capital Territory who would then deploy them to their specific area of need.
Names to be published this week
He said while beneficiaries’ names would be published this week on the N-Power portal, they would start receiving messages informing them of their posting from Monday (today).
He said, “Between now and the end of the month, the states and the FCT would be engaged in deploying the graduates who would formally start working and earning their stipends on December 1, 2016.
“Of the 200,000 first batch, 150,000 of them would teach, 30,000 would work in the agriculture sector and 20,000 in healthcare delivery, covering the three specific programme assignments.”
N-Power to empower youths
Akande described the N-Power programme as an expression of President Muhammadu Buhari’s drive to empower youth for productivity.
He also described it as an innovative means to enhance ailing public services in the area of basic education and primary healthcare.
He further explained that for those who had yet to be selected, a waiting list would absorb more of the qualified applicants. This is based on the total number of applicants, and subsequent batches, he said.